Actually, I am the boss of me.
Today’s list is from the book 52 Lists for Happiness by Moorea Seal. When I came across this prompt, the 2 of Swords came to mind immediately. Too often, we focus on external events and factors that prevent us from doing what we wish. I realized that I need to take a clearer look at this mindset. The 2 of Swords reminds us that what we don’t or won’t see still impacts our decisions.
Writing out what I can control for this post was definitely an exercise in personal responsibility, since many of these items majorly impact how I feel. My aha moment is that I really have a lot of control over how my day goes, based on my actions. Though unpredictable problems will arise, I can set myself up for less stress and a better day overall by handling the things below well. Instead of remaining blindfolded like the figure in the 2 of Swords, I’m choosing to remove my blindfold and build a better day for myself.
What I Can Control
- What I wear
- My words
- How I express (or don’t) my mood
- What time I wind down for sleep
- How I am when I interact with others
- How many times a day I give my cats treats
- What I watch or listen to at home or in the car
- How often I call loved ones
- Whether I dress my cats in costumes (NO, because I value my health and safety)
- How much water I drink
- Whether I ask for help when I need it
- What I eat
- How often I take a relaxing bath
If you use this journaling prompt, let me know if you had any aha moments while writing.